Wednesday 14 March 2012

Flippin Mipit!

Photographed by Rob Sandham

As were now into Mid March; my trapping season has finally come to an end. The only ringing I am concentrating on at the moment is lamping. So far this winter, after a bad start, I have successfully lamped 12 birds in North Wales. A change of lamp from a Nitech product to a Cluson, has made this possible and for anyone thinking of taking lamping up as an extra ringing technique; the Cluson CB2 Lamp is the one to buy and I can highly recommend it!

Last night I headed over to Glanwydden Lane with Rob Sandham and after an hour so; 8 Woodcock were seen but all flew due to the calm conditions during the night. The night improved when I flushed a small passerine from the short grassy field and knowing that it was either a Skylark or a Meadow Pipit, I persevered after it. I managed to bring it down twice but each time the bird landed it somehow seemed to elude the torch beam and took off before I could locate it on the deck. After a 3rd go the bird flew up and over the hedge and away into a stubble field, never to be seen again I thought!

A short search at the edge of the field and the bird flew up from my feet and I managed to tempt it back down quickly and netted it. This was a new bird for me as I have never ring this species in the UK and to have lamped it myself made the experience even better.

Photographed by Rob Sandham

Just 1 Woodcock caught last night, a gorgeous adult bird with white tipped primary coverts and lovely fresh and rounded primary tips.

My lamping total now stands at 9 Woodcock, 1 Shelduck, 1 Jackdaw and 1 Meadow Pipit. Fantastic!

A quick look at Pentremawr Lake in Abergele proved tricky as I missed 2 Coot, 1 Moorhen and 1 Little Grebe.

I will be back out there tomorrow night for these birds so check back then to see how the night went on..

1 comment:

  1. Amazing blog. This post is looking interesting. Thanks for sharing this with us vangsgutta

    ReplyDelete