Saturday 11 December 2010

You've been collared!!

Myself and Steve made our way over onto Anglesey at Rhoscolyn this morning, where we netted Ian's feeders in his garden. An early start was decided to maximise our catch rate throughout the morning, which ended in a total of 31 birds being caught.

Blue Tit, Great Tit, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Greenfinch, Goldfinch and Collard dove provided us with a rather successfull morning for species variety. Having never had the privelege of a Collard dove in the hand before, once my eyes locked on to a grey bird in the bottom shelf of the net, it was a quick sprint to the garden and the bird was safely in the hand. The reason for this dash was mainly because we haven't yet caught a Collard dove and they are renowned for escaping from mist-nets. A great finish to an interesting morning.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,

    I noticed that you have started following my blog 'Aberdeenshire Young Birder', and I was curious so I checked your blog out. You've got a really good blog here - it is well organised, and it is very interesting to hear about your ringing and birding exploits, you have some good pictures there and a very decent year list! I'm on 238, but your year list belittles mine!

    I am now following your blog and I have also added it to the list of blogs I'm reading ('Blog List'. It would be much appreciated if you could give me feedback on my blog.

    Thanks very much, I will continue reading of your exploits.

    All the Best,

    Joseph Nichols

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joseph,

    Deepest apologies for not getting back to you sooner. Many thanks for following my blog and for your kind comments. Yearlisting has its moments but 238 is a great total to finish on!

    Your blog is great. Well set out and a great interesting read. Great pictures too.

    Regards
    Chris

    ReplyDelete