Wednesday 5 May 2010

Yorkshire Yearticking...

It has finally reached the point in my first year of univeristy life, where my exams are now upon me. I have a total of 5 exams during the next few weeks, so the stress levels are already at their peak right now. As well as having 5 exams to revise for, I have 3 reports to write up and another 2 online tests which shouldn't be that bad!

Having needed a break from uni for a while, myself and my dad have just got back from a superb weekend's birding up on the East coast in Yorkshire. We departed Ormskirk early on Saturday afternoon and were back by 6pm on the Monday. A total of 110 birds were seen during the weekend with many interesting birds seen - a day at Spurn, but more of that later..

I have an hour or so to spare before I get back to the revision so here....we.....go.....

Hightlights include:
- North Cave Wetlands on Saturday afternoon where we picked up 2 Pectoral Sandpipers which were showing pretty damn well as the pictures will show.

- A day at Spurn on the Sunday connecting with 4 yearticks which included: Whinchat, Cuckoo and Little Tern and Spotted Redshank in full summer plumage,

- A day at Thorne Moors on our way home on the Monday produced: Marsh Harrier, Turtle Dove, Hobby, Garden warbler and Barn owl in the morning,
- A summer plumaged Red-necked grebe at Ten Acre Lake near Doncaster,

A nice tally of 110 birds for the weekend was respectable and a total of 10 yearticks - Marsh Harrier, Hobby, Spotted Redshank, Pectoral Sandpiper, Little tern, Turtle Dove, Cuckoo, Barn Owl, Whinchat and Garden Warbler brought my yearlist for 2010 to 202! The Red-necked grebe was my 3rd this year..

No comments:

Post a Comment