Tuesday 16 March 2010

FEBRUARY BIRDING HIGHLIGHTS!!!

Hawfinch

I finished January 2010 on a nice total of 147 species for the year, not bad considering the cold and awful weather..

With 147 species already under the belt including a few lifers and several British ticks, I had no idea what February would bring..

Surprisingly I got off to another good start..

February 2nd and I was birding back home with the other 2 bridges. My grandad and dad. The day was spent around Leighton moss and Kendal.. Birds seen that day included: 1 Bittern, 4 Snow geese, Green woodpecker, Marsh tit, Bearded tit, 3 Hawfinch and Rose-coloured starling - all of which were yearticks for me.. A Great day!!

Rose-coloured starling {Juvenile}

Hawfinch

February 19th and I was back at uni, however this date I had free and so went twitching, big style!! There had been a Juvenile Black kite for some time now down at Gigrin farm in Powys.. That day I left Bangor at 5am and arrived at Gigrin farm around 12pm and 2 hours later I was the Black kite plus 200+ Red kites .. Arrived back in Bangor on Thursday morning at 2am and collapsed into bed!! More than 9 hours on trains for 2 hours watching the bird.. Mega!! Great yeartick and much-wanted british tick..

Black kite {Juvenile - left hand bird}

February 17th and 21st saw me at Abergele and Pensarn with good friends Jason, Bones and John looking for the Surf scoters. Highlights for these days were 2 Drake Long-tailed ducks and at least 25 Velvet scoters. Unbelievable birding if you ask me.. Plus 3 Hawfinch at Llanbedr-y-cennin and the 4 Snow buntings at Kinmel bay late afternoon..

February 22nd and I was at Colwyn bay once again. Another good friend of mine, Rob hughes had found a Red-necked grebe off Rainbow bridge and so a quick train journey and a little searching, revealed the grebe to be hanging out with a flock of Great crests although albeit distant. Nice!

February 27th was a great day as I had a week off uni due to reading week. A short drive onto Plex moss with dad saw us watching the 2 Tundra Bean geese mixed in with 300 or so Pink feet.. Mega!! Always nice to see these typical winter geese..
February 28th and I met up with Graham clarkson at Hesketh out marsh for a catch up and a walk around the new reserve on a guided walk. Birds seen included: Little owl, Bewick's swan, Tree sparrow and Avocet at Martin mere.. A good day!!

Thats about it really.. I managed to add about 12 yearticks that week and now I am on 167 for the year.. The target for this year is 300 plus without being able to drive!! At the rate I am going I should be able to reach my target!!

Cheers for now...

1 comment:

  1. When you say "Left hand bird" in the picture... Should it not be "Left hand SMUDGE!" ?

    Excuse me... Are you Chris Bridge? :P

    ReplyDelete